Hairstylist | Foundation
The Hairdressing Foundation is a full-time, 10-month program.
Program topics include:
- Salon Ecology
- Hair Cutting (Men & Women)
- Hair Styling
- Design Decisions
- Permanent Waving and Chemical Texturizing
- Hair Colouring
- Professional Development
- People Skills
- Salon Business
- Client Services
Visit the Industry Training Authority (ITA) site for a current Hairstylist program outline.
- Grade 12 OR Mature Student
- English Studies 10, English First Peoples 10 or equivalent AND
- Math 10 Essentials, Principles or Applications 10, Apprenticeship Workplace Math 10, or equivalent OR
- GED, OR
- Successful Completion of a CAT Assessment, OR
- Permission of Instructor
Complete a CMTN Bursary Application [PDF]
|Full Time:||43 Weeks||43 Weeks|
|Student Union Fees:1||$125.97||$125.97|
|Extended Health and Dental*:||$250.00||$548.75|
|Total Program Cost:||$11,035.93||$23,988.65|
Fees effective August 1, 2021 for the 2021/22 Academic year.
These fees are term based and may vary due to the length of the program.
Please note that these are approximate costs and may vary.
Basic Health insurance is mandatory for all international students. Health insurance costs will be charged every term until students provide proof of MSP.
Books & supplies
Student kits will be available for purchase on the first day of class but should be paid in advance at the Registration Office.
In addition to the fees outline above, the following costs apply:
- Appropriate clothing adhering to the dress code; black or grey pants, closed-toe black shoes (no sneakers), and hair and makeup done daily
- Purchase of individual consumables after those in the student kits are consumed (ie: latex gloves, bobby pins, etc.)
- Purchase of necessary learning resources (available at the CMTN Campus Store)
- Learners are also required to provide pencils, pens, eraser, binders and paper
Hairstylists have many opportunities throughout the beauty industry including working in hair salons, spas, barber shops, schools, hair replacement clinics, health care establishments, hotels, and in the cruise, fashion and entertainment industries. With experience, hairstylists may move into other positions such as salon managers, owners, fashion consultants, educators, platform artists and product sales representatives.