The CMTN Hairdressing program combines the art and science of Hairdressing at a Foundations level. This 10-month program uses the Pivot Point Designer Approach Curriculum to provide students with the theoretical and practical application of the latest hairdressing skills. Learn through practical instruction and student participation with equipment in our own salon setting.
View the Salon services and hours of operation.
Apply to CMTN
Visit Apply to CMTN for an Admissions Checklist and to apply online.
Our Educational Advisors are here to help if you have any questions or need guidance along the way.
Dates and locations
|September 3, 2019 - July 17, 2020||Terrace Campus|
|Fall 20201||Terrace Campus|
The Hairdressing Foundation is a full-time, 10-month program.
Program topics include:
- Salon Ecology
- Hair Cutting (Men & Women)
- Hair Styling
- Design Decisions
- Permanent Waving and Chemical Texturizing
- Hair Colouring
- Professional Development
- People Skills
- Salon Business
- Client Services
Visit the Industry Training Authority (ITA) site for a current Hairstylist program outline.
The Salon is opening on October 31, 2019. Call or visit us to make an appointment.
Accepted methods of payment are cash, cheque and debit card.
3120 Hwy 16E
Mon-Fri: 9:15am to 3:00pm
|Shampoo & style||$10||$8|
|Long hair up style||$20|
|Kids cut (8 & under)||$8|
|Beard trim add to hair cut||$5|
Add on service
|Short hair from||$25|
|Long hair (14" & longer) from||$50|
Colour demi permanent
|Full head from||$40||$35|
|Tint retouch from||$30||$25|
|Full head from||$48||$45|
|PH bonder (protector for lightening)||$7|
|1/3 head from||$25||$20|
|2/3 head from||$35||$30|
|Full head from||$45||$40|
|Add on for extra colour||$10|
|Toner on foils from||$10|
|Cap highlights from||$25|
|Add $10/oz for extra colour|
*Extensions and fashion colour require an initial consultation. Price to be determined pending the consult.
- Grade 12 OR Mature Student
- English Studies 10, English First Peoples 10 or equivalent AND
- Math 10 Essentials, Principles or Applications 10, Apprenticeship Workplace Math 10, or equivalent OR
- GED, OR
- Successful Completion of a CAT Assessment, OR
- Permission of Instructor
Complete a CMTN Bursary Application [PDF]
|Full Time:||43 Weeks||43 Weeks|
|Student Union Fees:1||$125.22||$125.22|
|Total Program Cost:||$10,052.34||$22,942.32|
These fees are term based and may vary due to the length of the program.
Please note that these are approximate costs and may vary.
Books & supplies
Student kits will be available for purchase on the first day of class but should be paid in advance at the Registration Office.
In addition to the fees outline above, the following costs apply:
- Appropriate clothing adhering to the dress code; black or grey pants, closed toe black shoes (no sneakers) and hair and makeup done daily
- Purchase of individual consumables after those in the student kits are consumed (ie: latex gloves, bobby pins etc.)
- Purchase of necessary learning resources (available at CMTN Bookstore)
- Learners are also required to provide pencils, pens, eraser, binders and paper
Hairstylists have many opportunities throughout the beauty industry including working in hair salons, spas, barber shops, schools, hair replacement clinics, health care establishments, hotels, and in the cruise, fashion and entertainment industries. With experience, hairstylists may move into other positions such as salon managers, owners, fashion consultants, educators, platform artists and product sales representatives.